Wednesday, January 26, 2011

sock it to me

My daughter has issues with socks. She hates them. They irritate her. It's not just the sewing across the toes, but it is also the weight of the fabric and how tight they are. She will not wear tights. She will wear legging tights since the feet are cut out.

We have found socks that she can tolerate for a small bit of time. I typically have not fought her about wearing socks to school. Even if I did get her to wear some, they would come home in her bookbag that evening. Last winter we had a couple pairs of stylish boots she would wear with skirts. It was cute, but leather knee high boots with no socks got SUPER stinky in a very short amount of time. We keep her shoes in the bottom of an armoire and no one wanted to open the doors to that armoire since it would smell so bad!

This year I decided I was going to win the Battle of the Socks. One morning she was being particularly obstinate and I said, "Do you want to wear a pair of mommy's socks?" I didn't really think it would work, but I thought it might divert her for a bit. She wears a size 2 in kids, so her feet are still fairly small, but it worked. She wore them willingly and much to my surprise she came home in them. The next morning she asked to wear mine again and I gladly agreed thinking I would take any short respite from the Battle of the Socks.

She came home that second day raving about the socks. I don't much like socks myself so most of my socks are thin and shorty's. We went upstairs and ceremoniously threw ALL her socks away and went into my room and split up my sock stash. She has worn socks without a fight everyday since! She actually asked to buy a pack of brightly colored adult shorty socks at the WMart that next weekend!

I win the Battle of the Socks!

No comments:

Post a Comment